Homemade ashta clotted cream between layers of sweet and crunchy phyllo dough make this dessert a must try! We usually find our phyllo dough at a local middle eastern market or shop.
- 1 1/2 stick unsalted butter melted
- 16 ounces shredded filo dough make sure it is room temperature
- ground pistachio for decorating
- lemon flower for decorating
- 2 quarts half n half
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- 16 slices white bread cut into 1/2" squares, edges removed
- 1/2 teaspoon rose water
- 1 teaspoon blossom water
- Mix the melted butter with the shredded filo dough, separating the pieces
- Take half the dough and set in the tray, evenly, and into the oven at bake 350 on the second shelf
- Check on it until it is a golden color. If the bottom turns gold before the top, set on boil for a minute or so, until golden. Set into serving tray
- Put the second half of the filo dough and repeat steps 2-3
- When the filo dough cools, add half a cup of ashta over the first layer of filo dough
- Add the second layer of filo dough over the ashta
- Add the remaining ashta on top & decorate with ground pistachio and the lemon flour
- Dissolve corn starch in milk and half n half. Add the sugar
- Heat the milk and bread chunks over medium heat. Stir constantly and when it starts to boil, switch to low heat
- Three minutes after boiling, add the blossom water, and rose water. Stir all together for two minutes.
- Set aside. Every 1/2 hour, stir until it cools. Once cooled, set in fridge. Stir once after couple hours.
- Serve with syrup. Get syrup recipe here.
Share this Recipe
Recipe tips/suggestions? Please leave us a comment!