This recipe is courtesy of Meliz, Meliz Cooks
Meliz of Meliz Cooks is a developer of Mediterranean dishes. We enjoy her use of traditional Middle Eastern ingredients to develop recipes with a Mediterranean flare! What she’s learned and experienced through her Turkish background and Cypriot roots give her dishes the unique edge that we love.
Check out Meliz Your Lebanon Chef Feature Page
- 1 pound ground minched beef (500g)
- 1 teaspoon oregano heaping
- 1 large onion grated or very finely chopped in food processor
- 1 3/4 cup chicken stock (400 ml)
- 2 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1/4 teaspoon pul biber (Aleppo pepper)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and a pinch more
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and a pinch more
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 30 oz canned chickpeas
- 2 carrots peeled, cut into 1 cm rounds and parboiled
- 14 oz chopped tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
- In a bowl mix together the ground beef mince with the oregano, onion and a good pinch of salt and pepper.
- Roll into 40 small balls and place in a dish greased with a little olive oil.
- Put in the oven, top shelf for 10-15 mins.
- Meanwhile mix together the hot chicken stock, tomato purée, pul biber, salt and pepper and smoked paprika, garlic granules, onion granules and finely chopped parsley. Stir and leave to side.
- Take meatballs out of oven and add the chickpeas, parboiled (5 mins) carrots, chopped tomatoes and the stock mixture. . Give a gentle stir then put back in the oven for about 40-45 mins.
- Can be served with rice or bread, or over whole roasted aubegine/eggplant with cacik, yoghurt or labneh.
Share this Recipe