Recipe Courtesy of Dana with Olive Meets Coconut, OliveMeetsCoconut.com
Dana is the home cook behind the Olive Meets Coconut blog and Instagram page. She draws her food inspiration from her own Middle Eastern heritage, her husband’s Pacific Islands cuisine, local & seasonal produce, as well her travels around the world.
- 3 large eggplants
- 3 medium wholegrain pita bread
- 4 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt (1 kg)
- 1 pound shrimp (1/2 kg) raw, tail off, cleaned & deviened
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- parsley for garnish, optional
- Cut the pita bread into squares, toss them in a drizzle of olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Place the pita bread squares on a baking sheet and bake in a 175C (350F) oven until golden and crunchy. This should take about 8-12 minutes, depending on the thickness of the pita bread you use. Set aside.
- Cut the eggplant into cubes then place it onto a baking sheet.
- Drizzle the eggplant with half a cup of olive oil, then add salt & pepper to taste.
- Roast in a 175 degree oven, turning from time to time until the eggplant has a very soft, buttery texture. Set aside when it is done.
- Meanwhile, place quarter of a cup of olive oil in a skillet with the paprika and chili flakes. This mixture should be on very low heat to infuse the oil with the spices. When the oil turns a reddish orange in color, pour it into a bowl and set it aside.
- In the same skillet on medium heat, cook the shrimp for 2-3 minutes on each side until it is cooked through and no longer translucent. Be careful not to overcook it so that it stays tender.
- Remove the shrimp from the skillet and set aside, preserve the remaining spice-infused oil in a separate bowl.
- Fry the pine nuts in the vegetable oil until golden. Remove them from the oil and set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk the yogurt and crushed garlic cloves with salt and pepper to taste, until it has a smooth velvety texture.
- To assemble, place a layer of the toasted pita squares in the bottom of a serving dish. Top this layer with the roasted eggplant, then spread the yogurt mixture evenly to cover everything.
- Top the yogurt with the pan-fried shrimp and sprinkle the pine nuts. Finally, drizzle the paprika and chili infused olive oil and garnish with some parsley.
Share this Recipe