Recipe Courtesy of Cooking With Sherrise. Recipe videos available on her page.
servings, or more
- 1 large green cabbage
- 1 1/2 cups white rice rinsed and cleaned, can use basmati but short grain is best
- 2.2 pounds minced beef or lamb (1 kg) can do half beef and half lamb too
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon seven spice Lebanese seven spice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons red pepper paste or tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 10 cloves garlic chopped
- Optional: add marinated beef or lamb at the bottom of pot. I used lamb neck but you can use normal steak meat if you’d like. (Marinate with 1/2 tsp of each from stuffing spices.
- Remove center of white cabbage and boil for 10 minutes. Slowly start removing the leaves one by one. Once all boiled and soft remove from water and allow to cool.
- In the mean time mix all of stuffing ingredients. You can use any white rice (I used basmati).
- Remove center of each cabbage leaf.
- Add in 1 tbs of the stuffing in a line and roll. You do not need to close the ends just roll tight.
- Add the meat in the pot and stack the cabbage on top. In a bowl add in the sauce mix with 2 cups of boiling water. Mix well and then top with all the sauce.
- Boil on high. Once fully boiled turn heat down to medium low and allow to cook for one hour. (optional: add juice of one lemon towards the end). Taste one to make sure the rice is fully cooked. If not cook on low for extra 20 minutes.
Share this Recipe