- 1 cup all-vegetable shortening melted
- 2 sticks unsalted butter melted
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 5 cups flour
- 24 oz. jar apricot preserves or peach
- Add flour in large bowl, on top of it add the melted shortening, melted butter, sugar, baking powder and eggs. Hand mix all ingredients together.
- Dough should be a soft consistency. Add little more flour if too soft, however
- Take small amounts of the dough and knead each amount, section by section, to flatten in the tray. The layer should be very thin, just to cover the bottom of the tray
- Cover the thin layer of dough with the choice jam
- Take the remaining dough and roll into big balls. Shred these balls of dough into pieces along the grater over the tray. Should cover the entire tray with layer of grated dough
- Set oven at bake 350F. Bake for 35-40 minutes. If top layer is still light, set under broil for a couple minutes, until golden
- Can be made in advance and set in freezer
Share this Recipe
Recipe tips/suggestions? Please leave us a comment!
5 thoughts on “Sable Butter Cookies Recipe (Mabroushe)”
Hello there.just wondering what is vegetable shortening.also how much is a stick of butter.is it equivalent to one tbsp. Thank you
A stick of butter 8 tablespoons. This recipe makes a decent amount of servings so it requires a bit of butter. You can adjust the number of servings it makes by changing the number on the page :)! Vegetable shortening is a fat that is solid at room temperature. We use Crisco! Hope this helps. Please let me know if you like the recipe or have any suggestions after trying it!
Hello i live in Germany and I never saw vegetable shortening here so I tried it with Coconut oil I hope it will be good ? also a very easy recipe thank you for sharing it
What are the dimensions of your pan?
Hi, I used a 14 by 14″ round tray