Lebanese semolina cake, also known as basboussa or hareesa! Decadent, delicious sweet syrup soaked cake. This our vegan version!
- 6 cups farina smeed abyad
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon sesame paste tahini
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup raw almonds peeled and halved
- 6 cups sugar
- 3 1/4 cups water
- 1 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice bottled
- 1/2 teaspoon Orange Blossom water
- Mix all ingredients (except for almonds) in a bowl
- Coat the tray with sesame paste
- Add the mixture to the tray
- Add almonds to the top in rows
- Set oven to 425 and bake for 45 minutes. When the top layer is golden remove from oven and set aside
- Add hot syrup as soon as nammoura done baking
Syrup (make while nammoura is baking)
- Stir sugar in the water until it dissolves
- Set in pot over high heat until boiling
- Once the boil starts, add lemon juice
- Leave to boil for 15 minutes
- Add blossom water, stir
- Set aside to pour over the nammoura as soon as it is done baking.
- Cut when cooled.
- Try our original Nammoura recipe.
Share this Recipe
Recipe tips/suggestions? Please leave us a comment!