Kabsa one of my favorite rice dishes. It is full of so much flavor and uses my favorite rice-basmati! It is national dish for many Arabian Peninsula countries, but I first learned of it from Saudi Arabian friends. This is my take on the recipe, after a few different tries with different pre-mixed Kabsa spice blends that I brought back from Lebanon. Of course, there are other variations, but we've been enjoying it this way. Please leave your comments and feedback if you make traditional Kabsa! I would l love to hear your tips!
Kabsa Seasoning Blend
- 1.5 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon cardamom
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/4 tablespoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon dried whole lime powder I used lemon pepper instead
- 1/2 teaspoon Granulated Shugar
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 6 chicken drumsticks 6-8 drumsticks
- 2 tbsp Canola oil
- 2 tablespoon fresh ginger shredded
- 2 onions chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots chopped
- 1/2 cup peas frozen or fresh
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups basmati rice soak for 20 min, or 2 cups Jasmine, rinse out starch
- 4 cups chicken broth with 1 tablespoon tomato paste stirred in
- 2 cinnamon stick
- bay leaf
- 1/4 cup golden raisons
- 1/4 cup cashews
Kabsa Seasoning Blend
- Prepare Kabsa seasoning mix. Please note: if you don't like your food strongly seasoned, use less of the blend that this recipe makes. You can also purchase Kabsa mix from your local Middle Eastern market. Some blends are very spicy- so if you like that please increase the amount of paprika in mine.
- Soak rice for 20 minutes.
- Season chicken lightly on all sides with a tablespoon of the seasoning mix.
- Add oil to deep pot and set to medium high heat. When oil is hot, fry chicken in oil until golden on all sides, 2 min per side. If the oil is not hot enough, the skin will get stuck to the pan when you’re trying to turn it over.
- Set chicken aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and in the same pot, add onion, garlic, ginger, carrots, tomatoes and peas. Sauté for a few minutes then add 1/4 cup cashews and 1/4 cup golden raisons, stir in a couple tablespoons of the seasoning, and add the chicken back in. Cook another 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining seasoning to the rice and mix it together well.
- Add this rice over the chicken.
- Add in the chicken broth, cinnamon, bay leaf. Cook over medium high heat. When boil starts, lower the temp. Let them cook until the water is absorbed. There is need to stir while cooking. It typically takes 20 min or so.
- Flip pot over heat proof tray.
- Garnish with some golden raisons, almonds and pine nuts and or cashews!
- Serve with side of cucumber yogurt.
Please note: if you don't like your food strongly seasoned, use less of the blend that this recipe makes.
I like to load mine with vegetables, so feel free to do up to a cup or more of each if you like!
Share this Recipe